Thursday, November 25, 2010

oh....mornings

This morning when the alarm went off at 6:10 am, I admit it, I did press the snooze button BUT I only pressed it once. More sleep was tempting, but then I realized something quite remarkable. I had slept for 7 hours straight! This may not seem like something phenomenal, something to be so grateful for, but when you have slept 7 hours straight less than a dozen times over the past 4 and a half years, it is something to feel oh so grateful about. It's its own little miracle. So instead of being greedy and stealing more sleep, I did something even better for my soul. I got up and let the house sleep while I enjoyed the peace, the solitude and the quiet of the morning.

As I sat in silence, legs crossed on the plush carpet, cat sitting at my feet, the aroma of fresh brewing coffee filling the room, I felt peace. When I felt ready to stand, I walked out my front door, took a breath in of the brisk morning air and felt comforted by the greyness of the sky. I bent down, and picked up the newspaper. I ate my breakfast in silence, with a coffee on one side of me, and the newspaper on the other. And when I heard first my little girl call "Can I get out of bed now?" and then the baby start to stir, I felt refreshed, at peace and oh so ready to start the day. Because the day was going to be perfect, as perfect as it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment