Monday, November 29, 2010

The comfort of good friends...

We were in the midst of a lovely dinner with friends last night---good friends. Thankfully good friends. As I was taking a mouthful of food I felt the twinge. A few months ago I would not have paid any attention to that twinge. I now know the importance of listening to my body-it seems to know me better than I do. I waited about 30 seconds to see if the twinge would pass or intensify. Instead of intensifying the pain radiated to my back. Then I knew. "Here it comes..." I looked at my good friend who was about to serve me more pasta and asked if she had any apple cider vinegar. My friends who have been privy of the saga of my gallbladder know what it means when I ask for apple cider vinegar.....it means pain will soon be following. In the middle of a nice dinner my friend's husband, without hesitation, left the dinner table and went to the store to bring me some apple cider vinegar.

I made my way to the bathroom as I could tell this one was a bad one. Nautiouness quickly followed....then the throwing up. Now that had never happened before. Only because it was a dear friend did I ask, in the midst of our dinner party. "Can I have a bath?" She just smiled and said "of course." I could see the look of concern on her face. She later told me that she could almost feel my pain. Sipping my oh so lovely concoction of Apple Cider Vinegar and apple juice, I relaxed as best I could into the scolding heat of the bath. I could hear them all talking in the other room, debating whether or not I should be brought to the hospital. Curled up in the bath in pain I hoped the Apple Cider Vinegar would work its magic yet again.

Still in pain I walked from the bathroom to the bed that my friend had prepared for me. I lay down and heard my little girl and her playing in the other room. My husband holding the baby and chatting about cameras to my friend's husband. A few minutes later I made my way to the living room and lay down on the couch...then suddenly the pain vanished as quickly as I came, and we continued the evening...

Simple pleasures in life include those friends with whom you can most rely on and be yourself with... That evening was perfect and was a reminder of the comfort of good friends...

No comments:

Post a Comment