Monday, May 23, 2011

What the body needs...

Right now I am exhausted! My Lilah has been waking at 5:15 in the morning. I am enjoying a weekend in the country with my two girls at my parents. My Lilah is napping and my Sadie is spending time with her grandfather. Me? I am trying to get some writing accomplished. But my body has other plans. Even right now as I type this I fight to keep my eyes from drooping shut. I fight to keep my fingers moving along the page. I fight to keep my thoughts focused on the task at hand. I long to lay my head upon a pillow. I think to myself, "I can close my eyes for just this moment". And I do. I close my eyes as I type. Just for this moment. But I feel that moment lengthening. I feel my fingers slowing, and I feel my eyelids heavier, more difficult to open. Then sleep, sleep. Why don't I just sleep?

I don't sleep because I want to jog, I want to write, I want to read, I want to meditate, I want to do yoga.... I want to, I want to, I want to, I want to.

But, my body is clearly telling me what I need. It is telling me I need rest. I need sleep. I need to use this moment to recharge. This is what I need. I need to care for myself and listen to what I know is true. Simple. Quite simple. My body is telling me what it needs, not what it wants. And in this moment of quiet I was listen, and I will sleep.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Stephanie : )

    I just found your article "spin your story" on Kind Over Matter which led me to your blog. I have to say that I'm so happy that I found both. Your article touched me deeply and the few posts that I just read on your blog are beautiful. I'm 18 and I'm at this point in my life where I have SO many desires to be healthy, mindful, loving, compassionate, and accepting of myself and all others. I've been reading so much and I want these goals deeply. I want to be connected to my higher self but I just feel like this knowledge and desire is a giant lake and my life is flowing in a small stream on the path to practice and habit and reality. I know that I have to have patience. I know that the things I desire are huge and that they come with time. I really appreciated this post because it reminded me that I need to listen to my body in the moment rather than always strive to improve my body, mind, and spirit for the future (if that makes sense).
    Anyway, I'm just so happy to have found your blog and I will be reading more of your posts whenever I can. Thank you so much for sharing and I wish you great health, happiness, fulfillment, and joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much. What a beautiful comment. Made me smile. :)

    I looked at your blog---so great! I'll be checking back regularly.

    Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete