Monday, June 7, 2010

Scrubbing Floors

One of my favourite book titles: After the Ecstasy, the Laundry. Spiritual living does not occur during 'spiritual activities', instead spiritual living is in the moments. I try to remember that in the moments of the day. This however, is not as easy as it sounds. I get caught up in my thoughts regularly. I am a worrier. I need to fight this on a daily basis as I can get caught up in the little things in life, instead of realizing my moments are all perfect. They are perfectly as they should be. They are what they are. Today my discovery was not during the scrubbing of the floors, but after the scrubbing of the floors. I am a work in progress, as the moment to moment awareness of the perfection of the world should have been in the moment. But what is this 'should' word I use regularly. I 'should' be like this, I 'should' have done that. The fact is, I did enjoy scrubbing the floors, I just did not realize it in the moment. The patio door was open. The spring breeze was not too hot, and not too cold. The radio played cbc, it was a gardening show. But I was busy thinking about the imperfection of the cupboard doors. The tiles that are falling off. The money it will cost to fix all that needs to be fixed. Yes, our house is an old house. Yes, there is a LOT that needs to be done to it. Yes, we lack the money to do what needs to be done. But--the floor shines, and it smells of lemons. And the day--the day is perfect. Perfectly as it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment